There is space and pleasure enough in life to merit a Blog entry. Six months of teaching is about to end at the torturous Federico Froebel. I do not necessarily approve of myself for quitting mid-year, but then I also don't really approve of having paper thrown at my head during class. Oddly, the decision to take the job that I know I will enjoy and leave the job I quite literally dread going to every day was difficult.
There were some students that I enjoyed and who (I think) also enjoyed me. There were some moments of accomplishment which were, I will not deny, quite beautiful. But in the end teaching rich, arrogant Mexican teenagers- giving them the pleasure at sneering at a foreigner's Spanish- never did (and still doesn't) make me feel like I'm doing any good for the world or for myself. So it goes.
Oaxaca andaba steadily in the 80's almost all this last week while Wausau froze in -45 degrees with wind-chill. I took a group of students from Kentucky to a Zapotec village in the foothills of the Northern Sierra and had to pull out my sweater in the evening. Oaxaca has transformed me into (among many other things) a wimpy Wisconsinite.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment